Events - Tue, 10/02/2018 - 17:31
Workshop: Stroke - From Prevention to Treatment
Cerebrovascular accidents (CVA), or stroke are a serious public health problem in Viet Nam. CVAs are the first cause of death in the country (according to the World Health Organization, 2012) and are responsible for the majority of acquired disabilities and dementia in the adult population.
There are two main types of CVA, or stroke: an ischemic stroke, which is caused by a blockage in one of the arteries supplying blood to the brain, and a hemorrhagic stroke caused by the rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. Both types of stroke deprive part of the brain of blood and oxygen, causing brain cells to die.
It is important to know how to recognize the early signs of CVA to enable treatment within the very first hours of symptom onset. CVA is a therapeutic emergency, the patient must go to the hospital emergency room within 6 hours after the first symptoms
How to recognize CVA?
Symptoms usually appear suddenly, even if they are not very severe, and may worsen over time. The most common ones are:
- Presence of a motor or sensory deficit affecting one side of the body. This can manifest itself either in the upper or lower extremities being completely paralyzed or just numb. The face can show drooping of one side of the mouth;
- Problems speaking, ranging from having difficulty finding the right word, to speaking at all, or understanding others who are speaking;
- Blurred vision, reduction of the visual field, or complete blindness in one eye;
- New onset of violent headaches especially when accompanied by nausea, vomiting, or dizziness;
- Loss of balance and coordination.
Stroke is an absolute emergency and only a well-informed patient will be able to go to the hospital within the deadlines. To provide patients with useful information about this time critical condition, the Hanoi French Hospital organizes the workshop: STROKE – QUICK TREATMENT CAN PREVENT DISABILITY
- Time: 9h00-11h00, the 13th October 2018
- Venue: Office Area, 75 Phuong Mai, Hanoi.
- Presented by Dr.Christian Brosset – Neurologist from France
The workshop is open for free registration to all clients who are interested in the topic and looking for professional advice from French specialist of Hanoi French Hospital.